Too often employees believe that the quality system is ‘management business’ and it is a shock when they discover that everyone is involved. I have found also that academic training centres (universities, training colleges) do not give sufficient credibility to quality management, particularly in their engineering and business development studies.
We do not want to wait to put this right until the auditor arrives from the Certification Body for the all-important certificate assessment. I encourage my clients to include training so that staff are aware of the impact of the quality system, as follows:
- know where to find the Quality Policy Manual
- know where to find the Quality Policy statement by the CEO
- can describe, in brief terms, what the Quality Policy means to them
- know where to find their copy of the Quality Assurance Procedures
- if asked “how do you know how to do your job?” will have an appropriate response in their own words, such as “I have xxx number of years as … I have xxx certificates and I have working instructions on the intranet.”
- can find their working instructions on the Master Document List (read only)
- can realise and explain the impact of their work on the service or product on which they are working, or for which they are responsible. This is critical, as it depends on staff understanding the nature of ISO9001 and its effect on their work. (A requirement of the standard and the assessor could ask this question).
I use my ISO Cheat Sheet to make this training less of an ordeal, and to prepare everyone for questions which are outside their normal range of activity.
Employees become accustomed to these questions.
|I.M. HAPPY COMPANY (IMH): ISO Cheat Sheet|
|How do we trace a part?|
|Who is the Quality Assurance Manager? |
|What are the QAM’s responsibilities?|
To report to management on the status of the quality system
To convene and chair the QUALITY ASSURANCE TEAM
What do you know about ISO?
|How do you recognise a non-conforming part or condition?|
|What is the IMH Company Quality Policy and where is it kept? |
|What does the Quality Policy mean to you and your job? |
Where in the Quality Assurance Procedures Manual will you find a reference to your job?
Answer: (for example)
|Where is the Master Document List?|
|Why do you need the Master Document List? |
|Who is responsible for keeping the Master Document List up to date?|
Who is allowed to make changes to the documents we use?
EXTERNAL DOCUMENTS SUCH AS (INSERT EXAMPLE)
If I want to suggest a change to a form or procedure, What do I do?
|How do you recognise a Non-conforming Part? |
Do you have an assigned responsibility and authority for training new staff in company processes?